In the original Song for the Dead...
The top-rated school for the performing arts, Raleigh Heights Academy was overcome by horrors only seen in movies. RHA was the school every budding artist wanted to get into. Thousands applied every year to get in but only a couple hundred were chose. This was because RHA had an undeniable record of turning out wildly successful artists... singers, dancers, actors. They were the best. In August of 2006 death came to the school in the form of the insatiable living dead and other horrendous creatures. All but a handful of students and staff either died in the carnage or were infected and subsequently destroyed. What was left of the school was closed down for good and without the school,� the town soon died out too.
Now we go back to the beginning... Song for the Dead: Origin:
Twenty years ago, in October of 1986, before the school was built, and before the town grew to be more than just a stop off for truckers to fuel up - there were a little under 400 residents living in town. But up a paved and winding two-lane road, five miles outside of town, further up the mountain was the Raleigh Heights Sanitarium & Hospital. With the help of his wife Anya, it was run by none other than Dr. Wilson Raleigh - the last descendant of the founding father of Raleigh Heights, and the richest man in town if not the entire state. At the time the sanitarium had a max capacity of 75 patients, while the hospital side had the same. That year the sanitarium side was at max, while the hospital had about half that number, with patients from the town itself, or from outside referrals.
Rumors about what actually went on up at the hospital have always flown about town, but everyone just kept quiet and to themselves most of the time. People who talked too much about the hospital tended to disappear, and with half the cops in town in Raleigh's pocket, the average citizen had to pretend to be dumb, deaf, and blind, or leave Raleigh completely.
However, the silent horrors going on at the hospital are about to erupt over this small town surrounded by a vast forest. The forest and the countryside are ablaze with fall colors, deceiving in it's beauty, but working to mask the terror and pain. Can you find the origin of the horror and stop it? Can you unveil the mysteries that has enshrouded this town for centuries? Can you even survive to tell the rest of the world the truth?
Come and find out...
- No player can start playing until you've been told you can, by a GM of the game.
- 9/10/11 Hospital Map (large image)
Starting players... it is one day before the outbreak...
- Once you're intro'd you are free to post on your own, giving others a chance to post before posting again, in a round-robin fashion.
- No player can control another's character.
- NPCs are like endangered species; you can use them in your posts but only if it makes sense for them to be there, and you do not harm or injure them. Only the GM's can do that.
- You can be a member of the town or hospital, or a tourist, visitor, census taker... whatever, as long as you do not take the key positions reserved by NPCs.
- Hospital, Police, Firefigher positions are limited because it's not a huge town.
- Use standard Freeform app in the Character Application forum.
- GMs have the final word; if they give you suggestions on your character or tell you to change something, they are only doing it to help your character's believe-ability.
- There are 2 points of outbreak: Public Health Clinic in town. Raleigh Hospital Emergency Room.
- At Z+2days, a hidden security fencing will rise from the ground to encircle the town, and the bridge will be destroyed by the rising of the fencing. Security fencing will also go up around the hospital. Fencing will be electrified at the top, 20 ft. high, 6 ft. thick.
- Only the GM can advance the days.
- Any players coming in after the fences are up must create a character history in their application explaining why they are in the town or hospital, and give a rundown of sorts of what their characters have been doing, up until the day they come into. Ex.: Player makes a waitress character, but game is already at Z+2days. In application's Character Story section, player writes how waitress was on her day off at home on Waini St. when all hell broke loose. Instead of trying to get out of town she holes up in her attic, but only comes down when she runs out of food. etc.
- GM will sometimes post story-moving posts, and in these posts the GM will use any character they want if it helps to move the story along. If you are not happy with whatever the GM is having your character do, you may PM them to let them know what you object to.
Start off every in-game post with this format:
- Character Name
- Hours/Days til Z Day (day of outbreak) or Hours/Days after Z Day
- Exact locations
NO SUPER ABILITIES WILL BE ALLOWED.
- 10/15/2011 All starting players with completed and approved applications can now start introducing their characters. Keep in mind that you will be starting off one day before the outbreak (-1day to ZDay)
- 4/16/2012 SftD: Prelude - 2 NPCs are now in use and have been intro'd in the game thread. I've also jumped the storyline ahead to the next day.
If you have any questions or post them here...